Friday, June 12, 2009

Sanath Teran Jayasuriya - Age shall not wither him


Veteran Sanath Jayasuriya insisted his age is no concern after cracking a match-winning 81 in his side's World Twenty20 Group C victory over West Indies at Trent Bridge.

The opener turns 40 this month but looked as sprightly as ever as he belted 10 fours and three sixes in his side's 192 for five. The Windies managed 177 for five in reply, with Jayasuriya also bowling three overs, including the first of the innings.

"I'm doing perfectly well and that's the only thing for me. There is no worry about my age, you just go out and play," he said. "It suits me like that because my natural game is attacking cricket."

He added: "I enjoy these Twenty20 games and it's been really good to play in them. You need to be really fit and work very hard on your game so at the end of my career I am very happy to have the opportunity.

"It's really hard work though and it's tough to keep up with these youngsters!"

Jayasuriya also believes his enjoyment of the game has been partly down to his inventive opening partner Tillakaratne Dilshan, who added 74 in 47 balls at the top of the order, with a series of improvised paddles and sweeps.

"Dilshan has been playing really, really well," he said.

"It shows good confidence when you can play that way. With the way he is playing, I know I can just play my game.

"That's a big advantage to us. When you see him playing some of those shots I can't even believe it standing at the other end. It's nice to see him doing that and I get confidence from it.

"I can't play shots that are improvised that much though; I don't even think about it. When I got out I thought about playing some right-handed shot but I can't do that, that is for Dilshan only. He never fears playing his own shots."

Source : The Press Association


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Disclaimer

Sanath Jayasuriya Blogspot is a fan BLOG and is not affiliated to any official cricket board, partners or vendors or company or individuals.

www.sanath189.blogspot.comBlogs/ Pages/ Content/Images or any articles are for informational purposes only.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL SITE FOR THE INDIVIDUAL. This is a purely informational site about the individual and it is not affiliated with, or endorsed by, the individual. This information on this site was obtained from public sources, and may not be accurate, complete or up-to-date.
 
Clicky Web Analytics